Monday 14 July 2014

Improv Promo Shots

Big arms!  BIG ARMS!

How do we get across what we do in a photo?

BIG ARMS!

I wonder when this became the norm.  Just google 'Improv' and see the images are all the same.

Small group of people BIG ARMS!




Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this as such, it's just an interesting observation.

Compare it to images of Theatre.


More sedate, less arms, more somber for the most part. (don't get me wrong I found some big arm pictures there too, but they were mostly from musicals).

And again - a comparison with photos of Stand Up:

A mixture of wacky and morose at times.

I have an interest in this as a photographer as well.  How to get across a 'story' with an image, in this case, the story of what WE do for our show.  It's a hard one.  I always want to show fun as well as our interactive nature and a hint of our show structure...



We'd NEVER do the BIG ARMS though.... oh wait....



I don't really have any conclusion to this post... only that I suppose as time goes on and more and more people discover Improv our promotional images can potentially lose some of the wacky and gain a bit more 'art'?  Maybe?  Time will tell... until then, ARMS TO THE SKY PEOPLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment