Monday 5 May 2014

So.... how do YOU label yourself?

I asked this of an improv group a while ago.

What do you call yourself?

...

I did a show on Sunday where the promoter asked about how we all manage to fit our shows around our stand up... I explained that only a handful (I think at the last count 5 of us out of 23) are stand ups and the rest are improvisers.
Actually, that's a lie.
I first said the rest are 'actors'... which is not what I wanted to say.

For someone to simply be 'an improviser' seems remote.

Firstly... most people in improv troupes DO do other things, they do stand up, they act, they sing, they write etc etc... so why label in the first place?

But yet I have people in my troupe who would describe themselves soley as improvisers... this is their calling, their release, their outlet.

Yes yes, you would call yourself different things in different company (whenever asked what I do, I mostly refer to myself as a lecturer... it always seems easier if nothing else).  But why are we not telling people that we are improvisers?

In the past when I have you get the whole 'tell us a joke then'... people really don't get what it is that we do.
I suppose if I were to conclude here I would say maybe we need to wait til Improv is better known over here...

But how is it going to get better known?

We tell people...

Shout it loud and proud... you're an improviser, and even if I have to have a conversation that will include the words 'whose' 'line' 'is' 'it' and 'anyway' at least people are finding out about it.

I'M AN IMPROVISER .... (and a lecturer).

No comments:

Post a Comment