Sunday 6 April 2014

New Challenges

This weekend one of my players, who has been improvising for nearly 13 years now, took part in a singing workshop.
This was a huge deal for him.
He's convinced himself he can't sing, and therefore can't improvise songs.  He has avoided it as best he could his entire Improv career.

Over time I think it gets harder for us to push ourselves out there again.  We get used to working one way or another.
Which is not to say you grow stagnant (although some people do) but you get comfortable.
Comfortable and safe.
Two words that could damage your improv.
Try something new, try something dangerous, try something that scares you.

I hope he got a lot out of the workshop, he was awesome, did some great stuff and pushed through his worries.
I am hoping he will do it again.
We all need those pushes from time to time... because risking failure means you're learning.

(as an aside I don't really think you can fail in improv as long as you're doing something... hopefully that comment won't come back to bite me when I'm grading my improv students ;) )


No comments:

Post a Comment